Cassandra - wolverine, Michigan

Everyone Can Be Accepted

I believe everyone can be accepted. We are all beautiful, unique, individual human beings. I learned the art of accepting imperfect people by accepting the ones in my own family. My nephew Dominic was a dwarf. My baby sister was a special needs child. My sister Anna was severely scarred when she was young. My niece Michele has Down syndrome. These people have been a great pleasure and joy to me.

My nephew Dominic was a dwarf. Our hearts melted when we looked into those beautiful big brown eyes. He was the cuddliest happiest person I have ever known. His physical deformities never mattered to us, for we accepted him as he was. One day Dominic and I were in a store.

A group of boys shouted, “Look! There’s a dwarf!”

Dominic turned about shouting, “Where? Where’s the dwarf?”

What a hoot he was. We laughed and laughed.

My sister Anna had been burned severely while sitting by the fireplace. Her house coat caught on fire. She has lived with scars all her life. She has the cutest dimples in her cheeks when she smiles. Her jet-black hair curls around her face giving her an angelic appearance. She has a vibrant love of life. We do not see her scars; we love her and accept her as she is.

My niece Michele has Down syndrome. My sister searched and took advantage of every opportunity available to give her the best life possible. Michele loves music,

movies, dancing, search word puzzles, and our big family. She makes hook rugs, keeps her room clean, and does dishes for her mom. We love and accept her as she is.

My baby sister was a miracle child. She was our very own angel from heaven. I loved to hold her. She was so soft and cuddly. A full mouth smile would engage her whole body. She lived three wonderful years. She was the most precious and wonderful blessing to our family. Her memory will remain with us all our life.

When you put labels on people or laugh and point at them, think about the blessings you are forfeiting. Life is much harder for people with deformities of any kind. They are challenged to live life in a normal atmosphere. Everyone is a precious, unique, beautiful, individual human being. Look for the good in people. Look for their positive attributes. Everyone has the capability of accepting others. Take the time to help and understand a physically challenged person.