Gina - Carbondale, Colorado
Themes: children

“Take time to Drive around the Block”

June 17 1997, who would have guessed I would be having a little brother, a 16-year gap!

He could have easily passed as my child, at the time. Luckily people had seen my mother pregnant.

My little brother was a fighter from day one.

Being born with Down Syndrome and a flaw on his intestine, he was often in and out of the hospital. I remember him being taken to Children’s Hospital in the Flight For Life helicopter. The agony I saw on my mom’s face was heartbreaking. However, I was her support and became an adult right then and there.

He knew no different, for him this was life; it was a normal thing.

If you saw him, you would absolutely fall in love with him. You would never tell that he had problems. All you would see is this little boy with such confidence and a sparkle in those cheerful eyes!

My brother’s love showed me that children can teach you a lot.

I wish I could see life through a child’s eyes. Life is new and the beginning of a journey where anything is possible. It is up to the parents of course to teach children the meaning of life. Teaching them manners, morals and communication.

But what happens when you learn the meaning of life from a child?

I was given strength to handle everything when he passed away. To this day I don’t know how I did it, other than I did what I had to do. And I became the backbone of my family.

I have learned that existence is short, to hope that you don’t make too many mistakes and if you do, hopefully you can learn from them. That death is part of life. In a way, we are all here in one moment and the next we can be gone.

I can look back to what seems not to long ago and remember what my little brother taught me.

That you should always smile and not worry because tomorrow will be another day. I learned to always be NICE. And, that you should always make time to take a drive around the block. I learned this from my little brother who passed away and taught me a great deal in his five short years. I believe that if you are happy inside it will show on the outside, that memories will last a life time, and that life is to short to always look grumpy so that’s why I smile. I believe that everyone has an angel at his or her side. I wasn’t able to give him his last ride around the block. Nevertheless, I still ride around the block, when I go past the cemetery; and think about how he made me be who I am today.