Bryan - cheboygan, Michigan

Eye on the prize

We, live one day at a time. How we live that day is up to us to decide. My parents have always put a high priority on my education. To them, it was priceless. After high school they wanted me to go to a university and get an education in whatever I wanted. The problem was I didn’t know what I wanted to do. Something was missing, and I needed to figure out what I really wanted to do in life. I believe you have to work hard to achieve anything worth while. What is instilled in our brains since we started school is to study hard in high school go to college and make something of ourselves. I believe with hard work we can reach our goals that we set out for. All we have to do is keep our eyes on the prize.

After high school I attended Saginaw Valley University and started a degree in secondary education. I completed 4 semesters there and then dropped out. I was unsure of myself I didn’t know if that was what I wanted. I lost the passion that I once had. After dropping out of school I began a fulltime job waiting tables at a Pizza Hut in my home town. It wasn’t a bad job but there was no self gratification. I got the taste of bitter life.

After a couple years out of school, I realized what I needed to do. I need to go back and finish what I started. I wanted the feeling of achieving something again. The biggest rewards in life are the ones we work hard to achieve, from winning my first wrestling match in high school or scoring a good grade in a class. These are things that lift us to a better place. It makes all the hard work that we put into something worthwhile. You have to believe in yourself and find the true passions in life.

I’m now back in school with my sleeves pulled up and I’m ready. I don’t hit the snooze on my alarm clock any more or think where not doing anything important in class to day so I can miss class. Now I’m out of bed and ready and sometimes a little help with some Folgers in my cup. I’m not on the sidelines any more. I’m back in the game. I know its going to take some hard work and long nights in front of the computer, but in the end it will be worth it. I won’t be yelling back to the cooks, “can I get 10 with cheese?” or put up with angry customers. I have my eye on the prize now. I believe with hard work and determination I can achieve my goals.