Chelsea - Wylie, Texas

In life, sometimes just doing what people tell you to do isn’t enough. Doing what is expected of you is the right choice. My name is Chelsea Lane and I believe in raising the bar.

Every week I learn that I need to keep my standards high and put 110% into my work and my everyday activities. It makes me wonder if I could do more. Some people tell you often that they are doing the best they can and they have no more to give. But, being mediocre and just saying that you are doing your best is different than really doing your best and putting your abilities into full affect. Sometimes during my day I’ll realize the results of my actions. I didn’t get my work finished, I didn’t help someone out, and I didn’t do the best I could. So, I know that I must do better. Just trying a little harder can make a world of difference. Everyone, no matter who they are, has something to improve on, whether it is turning work in on time or just being nice to the people around them. Raising the bar is a great character builder and helps change people and their outlook on life.

Sometimes the trials in peoples’ lives cause them to refuse to make themselves better. They decide that their personal pride is more important than changing their way for anyone. They would rather be slothful and stubborn than create an effort to change the way they live. But, so little is expected of those who don’t try. Striving for excellence is so important. That is a problem for those who just don’t care. They think that giving in to change or trying their hardest will break their character and make them a weak person. This stubbornness causes them to fall back in life. Bill Gates gave some good advice to students. One thing that he said was that “the world won’t care about your self- esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.” I as a person, totally back that up. If you don’t’ try first there is not going to be some spectacular result. There is no room in the world to turn down opportunities just to continue to be stubborn. Raising the bar helps us accelerate in our lives and helps us experience success. I myself need to work on raising the bar, but I believe that doing so can help everyone.