Ashley - Wylie, Texas

Everyday I hear someone say, whether in song or in real life, “I wish I could go back and change things,” and every time I hear that I think, “why?”. Why would someone want to change the past? They don’t know how life will turn out because of the past. People live in regret way too much to be healthy, and it doesn’t amount to anything.

I believe that everything happens for a purpose and life always turns out fulfilling in the end. That is why I don’t regret. Even though I am only sixteen years old, many experiences in my life prove this statement.

One of these experiences began in 6th grade. A boy, let’s call him Mark, and I were best friends from 6th grade to 9th grade. At first, we acted just like any other 12 year old kids who think they are old enough to do what they want: we gained some enjoyable memories, got in trouble, and did what we thought was fun. All this seemed great until I became a Christian right before 7th grade. I wanted to be serious about my faith, but Mark opposed religion in general. Through the next few years, we would fight, make-up, fight, hate each other for a bit, come to neutral agreement, then make up again. Life turned into a never ending roller coaster of emotions. There even came a time when Mark came to church and said he became a Christian. The situation appeared as if things had worked out between us.

But then, in 9th grade things started to fall apart again. Mark started getting involved with things I didn’t support, while I grew stronger in my own faith. We started to fight more and talk less. Our relationship was strained, hanging by a thread. Gradually we grew apart, and now we don’t even talk. I went from having a best friend to holding a bitter memory.

Now as I look back, I’m thankful that I went through this occurrence. A burden has been lifted off my shoulders by not constantly conflicting with Mark. I feel like I am free to meet new people and practice my faith without my best friend taunting me about my beliefs. I still hope that someday Mark will find acceptance for me and maybe come back to church. But I know even if that never happens, the story of our struggles will still play an important role in my life because everything happens for a purpose.