Alyssa - Wylie, Texas

For the longest time I struggled with images and appearances. I continuously asked myself, “What is beauty?” The media said beauty consists of what you look like, dress like, and that nonsense. But it was that nonsense that lured me in to try and find more. I knew there had to be more to beauty than what meets the eye. I couldn’t find the beauty in myself, even though I searched so hard for beauty. Then I met Travis, and for me, the whole thought of beauty changed. Why? The relationship Travis colored for me. I found Travis handsome and charismatic, and we instantly became close friends. I soon met his girlfriend, Amanda. When looking at her first, you wouldn’t exactly call her beautiful, and oh how shy she seemed. I instantly questioned why Travis would choose to be with someone that different from him. Spending more time with Travis gave me more time to spend with Amanda. After hanging out with her a few times, we found stuff to talk about. As the weeks flew on, Amanda became intriguing, and I suddenly found myself wanting to spend more and more time with her. Something about her changed, she suddenly seemed so beautiful, but her looks hadn’t changed, it was the way I looked at her. I guess that once Travis got to know her, he too saw her beauty in her personality. For the first time, I began to see beauty as something on the inside of a person. To me, she became a best friend, and everyday I found her more and more beautiful, because I found out more and more about her.

Thanks to her and Travis’ relationship, I now look around and search for the beauty in everyone’s face. I challenge everyone else to do the same. All day long we can look around and see what someone appears to look like, but it isn’t until we can see who they are on the inside that we can truly see how beautiful or ugly someone is. I believe beauty is only a reflection of the person who lies beneath the skin. Besides, there is more to a person than looks; in fact, the majority of a person is how they act towards you. Anyone can look to the media and search for the truth, but what they find is superficial and mostly false. I believe getting to know someone, and watching their personality thunder through, can be the breakthrough point to finding true beauty.

The relationship Travis and Amanda had encouraged me to seek beauty not only in myself, but in everyone. I believe in beauty. I believe that God made us each with a beautiful personality. We just have to wait around for the true friends who will seek that in us. I believe that no one is defined by beauty, but each individual defines it himself.