Chad - St.Paul, Texas
Themes: setbacks

This I believe, I believe that everyone needs failure. Failure teaches you how not to do things, if you fail at something that failure will show you a way to improve when you retry your action. I’m not saying that you need to fail all the time at everything you do just that occasional failure helps you out. Everybody likes to and needs to succeed but failure teaches you how to succeed. I think that failure is the thing that makes you succeed. The biggest thing that failure provides for me is the drive for working to not have the feeling of failure again.

I know it sounds a little childish but the first time I really realized that I hated failure was in seventh grade basketball tryouts. Before the tryouts I set a goal to be on the “A” team. Not only to be on “A” team, I wanted to start. It was the first day of tryouts, I was doing alright but not great and at the end of the day everybody scrimmaged. The coaches split us into groups and you could tell who was on “A” team and who was not. It just so happened that I was on not on the “A” team and I detested the fact. I went home and I became angry, sad, and moping around. I did not want to talk or eat all I wanted to do was sit. It was at this moment that I realized that I did not like to fail. Something came over me and I became angry with myself. I told myself that I would not be on the “B” team instead I would start on the “A” team. For the remaining two days of tryouts I worked my tail off. I performed every drill as hard as I could and I did it to the best of my ability. I was not going to let anybody beat me in a drill. On the last day of tryouts whenever we scrimmaged I was starting on the “A” team. From that point on I have been on every “A” team that I tried out for and whenever I failed at something it hurt twice as bad. That one taste of failure made me hate it that bad that I worked three times as hard just so I did not have to go through it again. Everybody needs to fail at least once in their life to perform to their best ability.