Jake - Wylie, Texas

I believe in the power of ideas. Ideas are as important to a person just as much as water is. Ideas feed the soul and give the imagination life. Ideas should never be taken too seriously, or else it could lead to a belief. Even though I did start out with this essay with “I believe”, I dislike beliefs solely for the reason that they cannot change like ideas can. Ideas can change with time, evolve, and mature into something else. They can even be totally forgotten with time. Beliefs, however, are more resistant to change. Beliefs have the tendency to change the mind and mannerisms. One can simply not forget a belief, because it is a part of them.

Everything is so serious with beliefs. Someone can criticize an idea and the person won’t pay any attention to it. If someone criticizes a belief, however, an argument or fight will surely break out. At the very least the person of the belief will hold a grudge or think of the person differently. Religion is a big vessel for beliefs. In religion, a person devotes their entire persona to it. People die for their religion. Wars are held over beliefs. This allows no room for change. The world can change, but the belief remains the same. It never adapts. Ideas, however, do change with the world around it.

My message is just to think before you make something into a belief. If you do this, you will see things you have never seen before. Find things about yourself you have never noticed. You can change and adapt to the world as it changes around you. You will be much more open to opening you mind to so many different people and their ideas. If you get stuck on a belief, you dwell on that. It commands your being. It makes you loyal to a certain type of people. If someone isn’t in that group, then you will never be as close as you could to them. If you have an idea and not a belief, you can change not only yourself but influence everyone around you. You can accept everyone around you more freely than you could with a belief. Think before you decide to make a belief out of the idea.