Molly - Petoskey, Michigan
Themes: courage

Courage to Be Me

Many people have fallen into life patterns that are easy, routine, and predictable. I feel that people can get too comfortable or in a rut and forget how to be courageous.

I believe that courageous behavior gives a person a better life. People need to step out of their “comfort zones,” and try something new. Not everyone has the ability to go against the norm, but it takes courage to try something new, be different from everyone else and take a risk at failure or success.

Everyone is looking for an exciting life, but they’re afraid to mix it up a little and venture out of their routine lives. What is lacking is courage to try something new. Courage helps us overcome our fears and the obstacles life throws at us. Courage gives a person the power to take a risk when at times it may feel safer to continue living comfortably and predictably.

I am courageous, but it hasn’t always been easy. When I was 13 years old I got my first dirt bike. It was something that I had been wanting for years. I had an overwhelming fear of failure, but I had the courage to keep at it until I succeeded. I struggled day after day to become a good dirt biker. The encouragement I received from my dad gave me the strength I needed when trying something new. I believed in myself and credited myself for not only having the courage to get on a dirt bike for the first time, but to keep at it.

So what do you gain from courageous behavior? I have gained a great deal. Being courageous gives me the confidence to overcome obstacles life throws at me, and the little goals I set aside for myself. My self-esteem has continues to become stronger each day I am faced with something new. I am still somewhat fearful about certain things, but courage gives me that extra push I need to keep going.

I believe that a little courage in one’s life can go a long way. It doesn’t have to be a big step; it can be something small that gains you self worth. Courage is not a gift that one has; it’s something that needs to be worked for. Even if you don’t succeed with something you set your mind to, knowing that you had the courage to try something new is courage itself.