Lauren - Pewaukee, Wisconsin

I believe that my friend will come home from war. At the beginning of the month my friend Bryan was shipped off to war, and I was devastated. He told me everything would be alright and I would see him soon. He told me to expect lots of letters and a phone call every time he could get to a phone. I believe I will get many letters from him very soon. I feared that I wasn’t going to ever see him again. But he told me to remember all the fun times we shared together.

I sat with his sister the other day as she cried and begged for him to come home. We sat and remembered the time we had gone to state fair all of us together and he was so afraid of the “ sky things” as he called them. We spent the whole day there the three of us. I remember when we went by the pool/ spa area of the grounds and he tried to jump in one of them that was full of water because he was sweating it was so hot out. Sarah, his sister and I sat there the whole night laughing and sharing our stories, because we believe he will return from war.

The other day I sat down and read the first letter that I have received from Bryan, I almost cried I was so happy to hear from him. He started off by telling me things were different then he expected, and he wouldn’t have ever imagined what he was seeing. He said he would probably be different when he gets home, or at least that’s what the other guys told him. But I am not worried, because I believe Bryan will come home the same man he was when he left.

I continued the letter and could almost hear his voice when my phone rang. It was him, he had finally called. He was injured in a bombing that took place, though he would not tell me the details, I thought about It for a while. I was scared I was going to lose my best friend my confidant of 12 years. My Older brother hurt. As we continued to talk he was interrupted and had to go, but he told me not to worry, I said that I wouldn’t and would be waiting to hear from him again. I don’t worry because I believe he will come home from war.

As I wait out these days for Bryan to come home, I know in my heart that he will come home, and I will continue to convince myself because I believe he has to come home. Thought many people go off to war and many families have hard times with it we all seem to get by when we tell our selves to believe. I have learned from this that my cries wont bring him home, but believing will help. I do believe Bryan will return home from war.