Tim - Covington, Washington

Have you ever been in a situation where you didn’t know what to do? Where you froze up and did nothing because you were too busy thinking of the right thing to do. I know I have. I’ve been there so many times, that one day I realized it was time to change. I was recently driving home from the gym with my parents. We were at the bottom of 256th when a car pulls out 200 feet in front of me. I felt I had no reason to react to this because the car was so far away. My parents had a different thought in mind. My dad holler’s at me, “Tim! Why aren’t you slowing down?” Then I hear my mom scream from the backseat. I asked them why they panicked and my dad was naming off every single possible accident that could happen with that car and how to react to each one. If I was in one of those scenarios, by the time I would have thought about all of those possibilities and made a decision, I’d have an airbag explode in my face. I on the other hand, saw that I did not need to brake at the moment and probably wouldn’t have to anytime soon. So I kept my foot on the gas, and just cruised right along because something inside me told me that that was the right thing to do.

Had I actually been in a situation where an evasive maneuver was needed, I would have just done the most instinctual thing that popped in my head. I trust my instincts. If I know the general direction of where I’m going and I’m close to my destination, I can most likely get there. I’ve said the phrase “I told you so” too many times to my parents when they don’t trust me and they find out I was right. And yet they still don’t listen to me. I feel that when you don’t follow your instincts, you do not trust yourself. This can, in most cases, lead to an accident, a waste of time, or someone getting hurt.

For instance, if one of your friends is contemplating suicide and your gut tells you that something isn’t right with that person, it is better to act on your instinct than to think nothing of it. I always rely on my gut feelings when I’m around people. If I know the person well enough, I can tell if something’s wrong, even if they don’t tell me. I keep prying until I get the problem out of them. Even though they may hate me at first for prying, they soon feel liberated that they shared their feelings with someone.

I am now aware that a lot of the things I do and ways I act in life are all based on my instincts. I feel that the people who don’t use them make slow decisions that end up hurting them in dangerous situations. This, I believe.