Todd - Dayton, Ohio

I believe

I believe in the curing power of music. It was a beautiful Saturday evening, and the Ohio State buckeyes just won their home opener against Northern Illinois. As the game concluded we returned to my parents tailgate. Once the tailgate finished it was time for me to return back to my main campus at Capital University, a short five to ten minute drive. As I pulled out of my parking space I was struck by a male drunk driver completely totaling his and my vehicles. When the police arrived I stated the male driver was intoxicated. The police officer quickly informed me that the female driver of the other car had not be drinking (they switched). The police officer then quickly assumed that I was drunk and promptly charged me with driving while intoxicated. Six months of trials, a year license suspension, $2200 dollars and 1 night and jail later the charges were finally dropped. Once my license was finally returned to me I was terrified of other drivers. Every past terrible experience of my accident all returned once I sat behind the wheel. I thought I would never be able to drive with confidence again. Then finally I found a solution, it was delivered to me through my car radio.

“Take it easy, take it easy

Don’t let the sound of your own wheels

Drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can

Don’t even try to understand

Just find a place to make your stand

And take it easy.”

This songs medicinal lyrics and melody delivered the messages that I have been looking for since my accident. The lyrics “Take it easy” made me see that I could have died in that accident that night, so I must live my life day by day only because life has only so many days. I have to find a place and stand up and face my fears. I couldn’t let my past experiences hinder my driving ability. I must not try to understand the accident and why it happened or why I developed this fear. I must just simply let the experience go and the phobia will fade away. After listening to this song the fear finally did subside, but I was introduced into a new form of finding answers and solutions in life. Music helps me understand the conflicts and stress the happen everyday. Around the world people out there opening liquor bottles, buying drugs and physically hurting themselves to deal with their stress. Stress is not something that can be suppressed through these numbing methods. Stress is something that needs to be understood and handled. If you are an individuals out there using this practices I beg you instead of pouring that next drink, put your favorite CD in the stereo turn the volume on maximum and watch your problems fade away, this I believe