Molly - Downey, California

I believe that there are only a few people in existence, if not none, that are truly happy with their life and the way it’s headed. I’ve never met a person that even seems like they are perfectly content with everything. You’re either confused about love and hating it, going through a traumatic experience — like your parents getting divorced — loving life, but hating your parents, going through peer pressure, dealing with failing grades, just depressed about life, nothings going right for you, or even if everything’s going right you still want something more, but you can’t seem to find what that is. There are so many problems that people have to deal with today and nothing you do seems to get you out of that disposition.

People have a lot of ways of dealing with these problems, and some of the ways are very dangerous; especially the ways teens today deal with their problems. Some people don’t even deal with their problems; they bottle everything up and push it down somewhere where they don’t even think about it anymore. Sometimes people go to counseling, sometimes. People also either over-eat, drink their problems away, do drugs, cut themselves, or they even lash out at people that have no idea what they’re doing. Let me tell you this, the grass is never greener on the other side. It may seem like that but just because their front lawn is pretty, doesn’t mean their garage doesn’t have a few skeletons in it.

I really hate to see those commercials when there’s a perfect looking family and it’s a Sunday morning and suddenly the kids come in and start jumping on the parents’ bed and the parents are like, “Oh how cute! They woke us up but we don’t mind because we’re perfect!” Reality check people; no one is like that! If I even went into my dad’s room before ten o’clock on a Sunday morning I would get a pillow to the face and get screamed at. I used to envy those people in the commercials, but then I realize that those are actors and that they probably never even met before that shooting!

It’s probably not always about family though with some people. Some people might have problems with their friends; they might catch one their friends gossiping about them, or they feel like their growing apart, or even that they just don’t seem to care anymore. Many teens find it hard to cope with a lot of these stresses, especially grades and school. Some teens have controlling parents expecting too much from them and they just crack under the pressure; for some it’s just the opposite, their parents don’t expect anything from them and the teen might just give up trying to impress their parents and just fail, might as well give them what they expect right? Nobody is perfect!

Everybody has problems; even people who seem the least likely to have problems, take a look at Martha Stewart! She went to jail and the moment she got out she went right back on TV as if she was just fine and dandy! Everybody wanted to have Martha Stewart’s life; with her creative twist on everything! But this goes back to my comment on the “grass is always greener on the other side” thing. It’s not what it seems! Everyone has problems and everyone has their own way of dealing with it. When life gets to me and I’m just really depressed I listen to my favorite song in the whole wide world; “You Are Loved” by Josh Groban. I leave you with this quote from “You Are Loved” by Josh Groban, “Don’t give up, it’s just the weight of the world. When your hearts heavy; I will lift it for you. Don’t give up, because you want to be heard. If silence keeps you I will break it for you.”