Anthony - Kent, Washington

I believe that things happen for a reason.

Affair. Divorce. Leaving. These are a few of the words that have greatly affected my life for the past 5 or so years. I couldn’t pin point when it started, but somewhere during my first years of elementary school my mom started spending more and more time with one of good friend’s father. My parents hadn’t been getting along that entirely well before that, but the affair didn’t help their marriage any.

Shortly after the divorce papers were signed, my Dad got a job in Chevak, Alaska. I still have yet to find someone who has heard of Chevak, a Chupik Eskimo village of 700 inhabitants, and do not to expect to find the day in which there is. The next summer my brother and I went to visit him. We stayed there for a total of 5 weeks but sometime during the 4th, my Dad was involved in an accident that resulted in a punctured lung, 2 broken ribs and a back break at L1. The after math of this event put my Dad in the hospital and stressed out relatives and other people throughout my family and friends. One of these friends, who happened to be very close friends, asked my Dad for permission to send the missionaries to him. My Dad enjoyed them a lot but did not join the LDS church for another year and a half or so. What sealed off his conversion for sure was, undoubtedly, Patty. The second or third night after we got back from Alaska for the first time, we attended a 4th of July party to which we were invited by, actually, the same couple who sent the missionaries to my Dad in the hospital. My Dad and Patty met that night and emailed after wards quite regularly, seeing each other occasionally aswell. Not 6 months later did my Dad get baptized, and soon after that they were engaged and married. A year following my Dad’s baptism, my own took place, and two years after mine, my brothers were baptized as well.

These events led up to me finding the gospel of Jesus Christ. I do not believe that these events occurred due to coincidence, but rather fate or destiny.

During my freshman year of high school, during my 6th period class I decided to begin taking out my iPod considering the 4 minutes remaining before school was out for the day. Dispite the minimal time before class was over my teacher asked for my iPod and told me that I could get it in the office after school. So after school, I went to the office but had to wait 5 minutes because they needed to do what ever paperwork the lady needed to finish before she could help me. I got my iPod and started riding home on my bike. At about the mid-point between school and my house, there was a car that had run off the road. As I observed the wreck, I noticed that the wheels were still spinning. The thought entered my mind, that depending on how recent the crash happened, that I could have been in it had I not been held up after school for those few minutes. Things happen only for a reason. This I believe.