Megan - Kent, Washington

I once was an orphan. I was also a panther, a store cashier, Gramma Nut and Lord Licorice from Candyland, and was a poor villager chased by a monster named “Trachea”. Was I really all these things? No. But did I truly believe I was when I was a little kid? Yes, certainly. This is what I miss about being little. I miss pretending and making up games. I miss coming up with new storylines for my friends and I to reenact. I believed in every character we made up. I believed all the stories we dreamed of. I believe in imagination.

Imagination is the purest form of entertainment. It was essential when I was a little kid. My friends, my older sister, and I would always make up games. And I know for a fact they brought more entertainment then any video game console ever could today. In a video game you play the part of the hero wielding the sword. When I was little I was the hero. Today, I believe we have slightly strayed away from this simple concept. There’s just not enough imagining in the world. My best friend and I used to sit in her backyard and color rocks with chalk, and then pretend to sell them to people, switching off the role of customer and cashier. It seems like a dumb idea now, but to us it was just about the coolest thing. It provided hours of entertainment. I’m sure a lot of kids still pretend and imagine today too. But now there’s always the option of television, video games, or the computer. And that’s not really societies fault. Technology has opened up new opportunities, providing new gadgets kids can become interested in.

But imagination is key in so many different aspects. I don’t just believe strongly in it because it’s the cause of many unforgettable childhood memories. We would be nowhere without the concept of imagination. People that have invented machines and objects that have seriously altered the way humans live had to of had great visual and imagination skills. And authors that write books good enough to provoke communication with others thought up the ideas all in their heads. Not to mention great literature starts purely from what one person chooses to pen down on paper.

Imagining is important. It enables a person to conjure up whatever they wish without being laughed at (for the most part at least). It is the cause of great, revolutionary ideas. But most importantly, it is the basis of oneself. I still imagine. Maybe not to the extremity of pretending I’m a cartoon character or make believe hero, like when I was younger. But I still imagine. I still envision. The power of imagination is endless. This, I truly believe.