Sally - Birmingham, Alabama

THIS I BELIEVE:

I began my life in the home of a practicing Catholic and a non-practicing Episcopalian. I embraced my Mom’s faith until my early twenties. It was then when I believe I personally experienced a divine and what was to me a miraculous intervention. Thereafter, I remained Christian but re-framed it through affiliation with: Spirit-filled/Charismatic/Pentecostal/Baptist/ and Assemblies of God (albeit some seriously oxymoronic) type fellowships.

As many years and experiences have long since come and gone, I’ve come to yet another perspective. I no longer accept the premise that Eve came from Adam’s rib. I think this planet is millions of years old and replete with evidence that mankind has been evolving for perhaps a hundred thousand of them. But I still believe. I believe there are forces of good and evil at large in the universe. It also appears to me that there might be an on-going battle between the two. I want to be on the side of the good guys, as I believe that light scatters darkness and in the end, love is more powerful and will triumph over hate.

If I can be pardoned for swiping a line from the New Testament, I believe we all see dimly through a clouded glass. I’m still monotheistic in my bent, preferring to think of God as a caring father. But I realize that my concept might be proven incorrect and merely parentally prescribed and traditionally induced. As is the case across this planet and throughout the ages, I cannot deny that my framing is a product of my cultural conditioning. All that I really feel comfortable holding on to is that God is much larger than and far beyond my limited and puny human understanding and yet just as seemingly ever close at hand. I don’t believe there is a religion or faith that has a monopoly on His mercy, grace or favor, nor that any of them or any of us have more entitlement to or a better corner on His truth.

I don’t have many answers. I have a lot of questions. But I can’t deny all the

divine interventions I have seen and received, as well as an abundance of grace and mercy I have felt come my way. I believe God hears our cries. I still believe He is the best resource for rescuing broken people and fixing messed up lives. If there is one thing for which I am convinced, it is that I do indeed see through a very hazy glass. I find myself resenting the manipulations of religious people through their own contrived and often dogmatic professions of faith. I’d rather be yoked with those who, like me, say “I don’t know all the answers and you don’t either, so let’s drop all the pretense and give each other the space to celebrate this gift of life we’ve been given, an in so doing, share this planet in tolerance and peace”.

Sally Spoor Stevens