Sarah - Morris, Illinois
Themes: change

I do not believe in “sorry.” I believe in change. Throughout my life the word sorry has been worn out like a pair of old blue jeans. I have heard sorry so many times in my life that I have made the decision that sorry in fact means nothing without change. Sorry is the most generic term many use to express fault but not remorse. Change, as I believe, is the truest sign of remorse.

From the time I was a little girl, I have known few things to be the absolute truth. One of those things being that my dad hated his job, the people there, and that he would be in a bad mood everyday, without exaggeration. So many days I can remember him yelling at me out of frustration, and knowing the conversation that would soon come. He would say “Sorry, Sarah P. I’m so sorry, Daddy won’t ever yell at you like that again.” I would always say “No, Daddy! I’m sorry! I was wrong!” Although, in my head I knew he was at fault most of the time. After about 3 or 4 years of this I learned that he would in fact yell at me like that again, and the cycle would continue. But even with his yelling, my dad was never abusive and always far from a bad man. However, he does have his faults, his temper being one of them. Even though I did get into trouble with him often, I have always been the biggest daddy’s girl. However, I could never understand why he would get mad so often and say sorry. I always felt if he was really sorry, he wouldn’t keep scolding me for ridiculous reasons. But to understand my father even further, I have recently realized that although my dad is my number one hero, he is still just a person at the end of the day.

My dad now controls his temper since he realized he had been very wrong for many years. This is amazing to me, because my dad is very stubborn. Now, when he says sorry, I believe him because he is a changed man. Through my dad’s remorse I have become to believe in the power of change.