Heather - Petoskey, Michigan

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

I believe in the adage, “Slow and Steady Wins the Race.” Not only did it work for the turtle in the well known tale, The Tortoise and the Hare, it has had a big influence on my life as well.

When I was young, I used to think living in the fast lane was the only way to go. I hurried through any task, especially ones I did not like. This did not always lead to successful results. I had failing test grades and a sloppily cleaned room. My beliefs began to change when I became involved in sports. I found that there was no substitute for hours of practice to master my hook shot and success came when I scored one in a game. Then I took up throwing discus and found that my distances steadily improved only after long hours working on improving my form. Success in discus came during the final meet of my high school career when I threw my personal best of over 100 ft.

When I entered high school, I began to apply the slow and steady philosophy to my school work as well. I used to rush through everything so I was not the last one to turn in an assignment. I did not want people to think I was dumb, but when the grades came back, it usually appeared that way.

Now in college, I find I do not care any more if I am the last one to turn in a timed test. As my mother always said, “The first person done may not always get the highest score.” Recently I wanted to do well on a math test. I completed all my homework, studied with a friend, and paid close attention in class to prepare for the test. I achieved my goal by receiving an 89%!

I am confident that I can continue to apply the idea of slow and steady wins the race to other areas of my life. I feel that if I work toward any goal with slow and steady progress I will win any race I choose to enter. This I believe.