Caitlin - Covington, Washington

My life philosophy can be simply represented by a candle. A friend I met through Key Club once said that as leaders, we must be like candles: sacrificing part of ourselves in order to help others. Just as a candle’s wax slowly melts, we must sacrifice our time and efforts in order to allow the flame to burn brightly, bringing light and hope to others.

Over the past two years, I have grown so much as a person. Most of it has been brought about through my involvement with Key Club. My dad first encouraged me to join, since he was very active with the organization when he was in high school. That first spark of interest he gave me has lead to multitudes of friendships, spending countless hours dedicated to those less fortunate than myself, and finding the passion, strength, and drive inside me to do wonderful things. At the end of my freshman year, I decided to take a chance and run for an office in Kentwood’s Key Club – secretary. The past year has been full of ups and downs, achievements and pitfalls. Mostly I feel grateful for the time I’ve had with my fellow officers, who, as seniors, have shown me so much wisdom and inspiration and friendship, that I don’t know how I will ever thank them. Through their influences I have learned to be the most brilliant candle I can be.

My most fundamental reason for sacrificing part of myself is my desire to leave the world a better place than when I got here. The simplicity of giving is the most powerful and moving human action in the world. It is what truly separates us from the animal kingdom – some of us, at least, are willing to put ourselves at a disadvantage to help another fellow human being. By taking a part in this, I hope to inspire others to do the same – essentially shining my light upon issues and opportunities that can have a great impact on the world. I feel so lucky to have found an organization that exemplifies all I wish to do with my life. Thanks to Key Club, I have the passion and resources necessary to add more fuel to my fire, melting my unending supply of passion for serving others.