Only Equality

Heather - USA
Themes: equality

My favorite quote is by Martin Luther King. He said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” This was in his I have a dream speech. King is one of many people who inspire me because we both believe strongly in one thing… that everyone, no matter their skin color, should be treated equally.

I met my boyfriends’ family when we first started dating and I was so excited. His family was so nice to me and treated me like one of the family, (whether that was a good thing or a bad thing?). They were like every other family; goofy, strict, kind and caring… the only difference that his family and my family had is that they are African American and we are white. So when my family found out about my black boyfriend, they were not as excited about the situation as me. So finally after getting my mom to meet him, she really found my boyfriend a nice person and by looking past his skin color, she saw a regular guy who treats her daughter right.

I believe that I should be able to date any guy who treats me right, despite if he is colored or not. I believe I should be able to walk down the street holding my boyfriends hand and not get any looks of disgust but looks of joy because some besides them is happy.

I will try my best to treat everyone equally and with respect. I want to be the best person I can be and show them it is okay, because then maybe that will show everyone else that by looking past someone’s color can make a world of difference.

Our country is made up of a many different races, heritage, and colors, creating a very diverse and interesting place to live. I therefore believe that everyone should treat everyone else as they would like to be treated and share only positive comments. Because everyone should be treated and respected equally, no matter their skin color or race, this I believe.