Colton - Covington, Washington

I believe that an active body makes an active mind. People are loosing their imagination because people are sitting around playing video games instead of going outside and playing on sunny days and reading or doing something other then watching TV on rainy days. I believe that technology is keeping people less active and their minds less active also.

Technology is robbing bodies of good physical health and minds of imagination. It is a simple push of a button which equals instant satisfaction. What ever happened to building forts, playing with Legos, or building your own Hot Wheels track? These are things that actually help build imagination and problem solving skills. With technology we don’t have to think to get satisfaction. It’s either a simple push of the button or a mindless flip of a switch. Technology can help people figure out complex problems, but what kids are using these days, like gaming systems, its mind numbing and weakens the imagination.

From a personal experience, I remember playing make believe. I was pretending that I was a mighty Indian hunter in training going out to get food for my family. I had my well-crafted bow and a quiver full of precisely made arrows. I was creeping around trees and bushes as I looked for my prey. Then I found it, a male deer, and it was 30 feet away. I pulled an arrow out and cocked my bow. I aimed and fired. I missed. The deer took off and I raced after it. I quickly cocked my bow again and fired. I hit it! I had gotten my first kill and was a true Indian hunter. (Remember this is make believe.)

Those were the good old days. These days, kids don’t go outside and do this. It isn’t “fun” anymore. You’re not getting the true gratification of making your first kill or swinging through the trees like Tarzan. That is were video games come in. It is as true to real life as you can get without doing anything. It gives you that instant gratification. Have you ever tried to talk to a kid who plays videogames all day every day? That is all he wants to talk about. He doesn’t want to talk about what the weather is like and he probably doesn’t play any sports. So he has nothing he wants to talk about except the only thing that he does, videogames.

I believe that technology, like videogames, is ruining our imagination and others as well. As long as you are active and stay active you will have an active and sometimes a very imaginative brain. This I truly believe.