Tyler - Johnson City, Tennessee

I believe that adversity happens for a reason. I believe God puts things in our paths to help us grow in this life. He has always said that He will not put something in our lives that we can’t handle on our own. I believe in this truth, and that is what has guided my life thus far.

My family has gone through lots of types of adversity, types of things that would usually pull most people down and away from their faith. For me it has improved my faith and my life. My grandparents on my mom’s side were never that close to me. They suffered from alcoholism and my mother didn’t want us around that. She was the strong one in her family. My grandparents on my father’s side came from a very poor background. My Peepaw was born in a field and grew up in a mud floor house. He was on his own from an early age. Peepaw worked his way into college by joining the army, and then began as a laborer in McGregor and Brunswick. He eventually worked his way all the way up to Vice President.

When I was thirteen years old I was diagnosed with a bone tumor, it turned out to be benign after I had surgery. My brother was then diagnosed with multiple bone tumors in his legs only a year ago, they also were benign. My uncle G and aunt Lynne lost their twin boys when they were born prematurely. My aunt Teri and uncle Frank have been through the most though. My aunt was married to another man previously, that ended in a very painful way to say the least. While she was single she lived in Greensboro, NC. She has always been a very athletic and outdoor type. One day she was riding her bike through a neighborhood and was struck by a drunk driver who had his license revoked two months earlier. She broke most of her bones from her hip down, she was also in a halo for a couple of months. She later remarried to Frank about six years ago. One day when Frank was to fly to Germany for his company, an African American man broke into their house and physically abused Teri to the point of near death. She was handcuffed and beaten, Frank came back because of a feeling he had. He was then beaten over the head with a bat, and stabbed in the hand. Luckily something caused the man to flee. He was later found in New York City two weeks later.

Through all these hardships I have seen the power of faith. I have seen that the people who have the best excuse to fall from their faith, have instead taken these adversities as the stepping stone to something that happens later in their lives. My family has truly shown me what it means to believe that all things happen for a reason. I know by my faith alone that the things I go through will continue to mold me into the man I am meant to be. I will grow from my adversity, and if I ever doubt, I need to look no further than my closest relatives.