Michelle - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: hope, setbacks

Catching a Break

I believe in catching a break.

Monday morning I was awakened by my mom screaming that I had ten minutes to get ready for school. I rolled out of bed and looked out of the window, only to find that it was raining. I grabbed clothes that were on my floor, brushed my teeth as fast as possible and headed for my car. I stepped outside and my car wasn’t in the driveway. I then remembered that my dad took my car to have the brakes checked and I forgot to get my backpack out. I decided to go to class without it because I really couldn’t afford anymore absences.

My only option was to drive my dad’s truck to class. The moment I started the truck, the gaslight came on. After stopping for gas, I was twenty minutes late for class. I could tell my teacher was angry when I interrupted. When I walked into class, she rudely told me to put my term paper on her desk. At that moment, I remembered that my term paper was in my backpack. I waited until the end of class, to try and explain myself to my professor. She told me that I wouldn’t be able to turn it in and that I would receive a zero. A zero would mean failing the class. How could I have let this happen?

Trying not to cry, I left the class and walked to the car to sit for my forty-five minute break. I sat and listened to music trying not to think about failing English. When it was time for class, I walked in only to find out that it had been canceled. Angry at my wasted time, I went back to the car and it wouldn’t start. I had killed the battery using the stereo. I was completely embarrassed when I had to stop people in the parking lot to ask for a jump-start. After getting it started, I drove home. When I reached the front door I looked down at my dad’s keys and there wasn’t house key. At this point, I didn’t think things could get any worse.

Now crying and asking myself what I did to deserve this day, I stopped at the mailbox on my way back to the car. I flipped through the stack of junk mail and the last envelope was from California State University. My heart began to race! I had been waiting ten weeks for this letter. I took a deep breath and tore it open. The first line read, “Dear Ms. Shipley, CONGRATULATIONS!”

Finally, I had caught a break, from then on my day turned around for the better. Even though that day was full of stressful events, I was able to regain my confidence and be more positive. Receiving my acceptance letter to CSU was the break I needed to turn my awful day into a day that I will never forget. That day alone, is the reason why I will always believe in catching a break.