Sarah - wylie, Texas

I believe in religion. I also believe that, even though we based our country on the freedom of religion, we aren’t as free as we think. How many times have you heard of or seen the Mormon television commercials where they ask you to get in touch with your “Mormon neighbor” and they’ll give you a free Bible? What’s more, think about the Jehovah’s witnesses that walk from house to house inviting people to church and witnessing to people who are uneducated about the word of God. Sure, you don’t need to join their religion, but they’ll stalk you until you do, so you have really no way out. The fact that we study religions in school makes me wonder why we don’t study Christianity. We study Buddhism, Confucianism, and many other isms, but not Christianity, the religion that America was based upon. In fact, it is, apparently, illegal to read a Bible in a classroom of a public school. Did you know that? Also, we study evolution and all the many theories about how earth formed, but what about the Christian theory? The people that founded this country, the people who ran away from Europe and the Catholic faith, believed that “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Why can’t we study that? If we are in the land of the free, why avoid the religious foundation of our country? The truth is, the peer pressure we feel from everyone around us keep us bound to keeping our religious practices hush-hush. As a full-fledged Pentecostal woman, I believe that my feelings about religion should be heard. I think that people should be able to practice whatever religion they want, whenever they want, however they want, and wherever they want. Your religion should be obvious. Churches such as mine send missionaries to countries such as France and Morocco when we need to focus on breaking our own people free of the bondage we feel when we can’t pray in public or bring Bibles in school. Our ancestors ran away from Europe because they didn’t have rights. We now have rights and we don’t practice them. Are we wasting all the time it took for us to fight for freedom? We ought to care enough about the people who died in wars fighting for the rights of religious practices to stand up in front of a crowd and say “I am a Christian and I am NOT ashamed of it!” People complain of the hassle that praying in restaurants has become. We don’t do it for fun or for how it looks. We do it because we feel grateful to God for giving us the means to eat in a restaurant. God gave us this country to worship him freely, now we ought to do it.