Alex - Wylie, Texas
Themes: setbacks

Two years ago, my best friend was ripped from her home. She now lives with her aunt and uncle instead of her parents because of their bad choices in life. I believe that distance isn’t a boundary.

I still remember the first time we met, we were both two and we didn’t even want to associate with each other. Ever since then we have been best friends. We used to play house behind the chairs in my living room and split up my beanie babies evenly between each other. We were with each other all the time. We were even on a mom/dad basis with each others family. I remember how her grandma claimed me as well as Jameson, whenever we went out together.

Then, out of the blue, came the horrible phone call on February 7th, 2005, Jameson and Dylan had been taken by Child Protective Services. I didn’t know if I was ever going to see her again, but I still had hope even though uncertainty was staring me in the eyes.

When she was taken, I didn’t know how to feel. I felt upset, mad, and confused, but now, I am happy that she is making the best out of her situation. It gets hard because we don’t see each other a lot and she is getting new friends, but we know that a bond like ours could never be torn apart emotionally.

She now lives in Sherman, an hour from where I live. We are still best friends and tell each other everything. Even though it gets hard sometimes to go through rough patches without her, she will always and forever be my best friend, sister, and other half.

She has been really strong through this whole ordeal, and I admire her greatly for that. People might think that since she lives in Sherman now she will “forget” about me and go on with her new life. But I know that she could never let go of the life she lived for 13 years, and she could never “forget” about me. Distance should never and can never be a boundary. If you love someone enough, nothing can tear you apart.