Madison - Lavon, Texas

Over the past summer, I went through a tough time. I felt horrible about myself and my life, and everything that once brought me happiness no longer accomplished this. I found that my teddy bear I received as a gift a few years back existed as my only true companion and friend seeing as all of my other ones decided to vacation out of town, which left me extremely lonely. I had nobody to talk to either, and I kept every single thought and emotion shut up inside. On top of it all, my parents began experiencing problems. I didn’t know what was happening to my life; everything was different and much worse even a mere year before.

One day while I was lying in bed and listening to music, I remembered about the large amount of money I had saved sitting in my closet. I immediately got up, got dressed, and got a ride to the mall. I spent every dollar at Circuit City on c.d.’s, and these kept me happy for no more than a week. I had spent all of my birthday money, Christmas money, and money I had earned from chores in hopes that in return, I would be happy. Instead, I realized I had made a stupid mistake; now, not only was I not happy, but I was also broke. I believe that money can’t buy you happiness.

After a while, my mother noticed my change in behavior, my new eating habits, and my desire to be left alone at all times. She gradually started paying more attention to me and made efforts to stop by my room every now and then. Eventually, this became an every day occurrence, and we started getting fairly close. I was no longer lonely, and at this point, I actually had someone to tell all my problems to. She loved me, and she tried everything she could to make me happy again, which is actually what she ended up doing. She gave me attention and showed me that she loved and cared for me. I believe that money can’t buy you happiness and that love is actually the root of all happiness.