Ethan - Wylie, Texas

I believe that you should never take anything for granted. Many people go their whole lives without even realizing what they have and how valuable it actually is. I, on the other hand, am not one of these people.

Ever since I was three years old, I have known a kid named Bryce Mayfield. We were best friends and did everything together. I was at his house, literally, every day. His family was practically my family. His parents saw me as one of their own and I saw them as my second parents. It was fourth grade year and I thought everything was going fine. Come to find out, his dad got laid off from his job at Nortel Networks in Dallas. After a while of searching for a job, his dad finally found one. Unfortunately, it was located in San Diego, California. His dad decided that it was the right decision and accepted the job. Over the Christmas break in fourth grade, they packed up and moved away. For a while I was sad about this and never really in a great mood. Then, one day I was playing outside just messing around, when I saw my neighbors putting up a new fence. I decided to go over and see if they needed any help. After I walked over there, I noticed a kid my age from my class in third grade and in my current fourth grade class. His name was Michael Loftis. We knew who each other were, but were not good friends. I went over there and asked if I could help them, and they gladly said yes. After a couple of days of helping them put up their fence, I became pretty good friends with Michael. We got to know each other over this period of time. Then, as the year went by, I started to hang around with him more and more. By the fifth grade year, Michael and I had become even better friends than Bryce and I ever were. We hung out pretty much every day of the week. He even had two little brothers that made it even more fun to be at his house. Over the years, our friendship got stronger and we became best friends. For some reason though, they were always looking for a new house. This always made me kind of mad. Seventh grade rolled around and we were finally playing football and basketball for the school. During Christmas break, his dad was offered a higher paying job in San Antonio. More money being the reason for accepting the job, he took it in a heartbeat and they moved to San Antonio.

After my two best friends moved away, I decided not to take anything or anybody for granted.