Ashley - Rowlett, Texas

Over Christmas break of my 7th grade year, my life made a drastic change. My family became a foster family. I was totally against the idea, I didn’t want any strange people living in my house, eating my food, or watching my TV. I associated the crimes they’re parents committed with them. To me, the foster kids stole, were rapists, and abused the children they didn’t even have. Our first two, Justin and Megan, broke that stereotype. They were smart, normal, good kids whose life had changed just as drastically as mine had. Justin, although sneaky and bossy towards my younger brother, tried really hard to become a part of my family. Megan, though only four, strived for approval and would do anything to get the attention of both me and my parents. She quickly learned to play crazy 8’s and all the other silly games my family plays, and we learned how smart she truly was. As their time with us increase, I realized just how needy they were even though they were just normal kids. Justin became controlling over my brother, and would quickly turn the blame onto him when he did something to get them both in trouble, so my parents would like him and think that he wasn’t a bad kid. Megan told jokes that didn’t make sense, and lied constantly so we would either find her more interesting, or to get herself out of trouble. I didn’t like either child, and would be mean to the both of them to see how long it would take them to crack. As the time increased even more, Justin became my brothers’ best friend, even though they came from different lives & backgrounds. Both children had great lives staying with us, and we all enjoyed their company. Just because someone has had a more fortunate life than you, or a less fortunate life than you, doesn’t mean they don’t want to be loved. Everyone both wants and needs to be loved. Now, four foster kids later, I learn that lesson more and more everyday. I don’t always show it, but its there. I try to love and care for those I can, so maybe they can help someone else, even if it means I have to change my attitude and feelings about that person.