Alyssa - Wylie, Texas

I’ve often wondered why people fail. As I thought about this, I’ve learned why: people give up. They just stop trying. After I’d grasped this, I simply could not figure out what would make someone want to give up. Maybe they didn’t want what they were working for; or maybe they just didn’t care. I thought about a time when I wanted something, and I kept remembering my worries about making the Drum line.

It was hard learning the bass drum tryout music. No matter how hard I tried, I just kept messing up. To make my confidence get even lower, the Drum line’s section leader said that I’d most likely be in the pit, or front ensemble. I felt worried, but his comment didn’t help any.

At one point I almost dropped the bass drum music and wanted to be in pit. However, something deep inside told me not to give up. I knew how badly I wanted to make the bass line, so I wasn’t going to give up on this; not without a fight. I knew the result affected my freshman year. I decided even if I end up in pit, I needed to try my absolute hardest.

When the day finally came I got nervous. I actually got in the mindset that I would be in the pit, even though I did try hard. I went in there and played the tryout music. I automatically knew it wasn’t my best, but I had nothing to do. The day the results were posted I tried to avoid going to find my name. when I finally got to them, I surprisingly found my name under the bass line’s list. I was excited.

Although my name was under the bass line’s list, I might not be on the line for sure. Mr. Ratterree needed to narrow the list of seven down to five. This did worry me, but I simply told myself that if I made it on the first list, then I’d make it on the second one. However, I needed to prove myself.

During music camp, when Mr. Ratterree decided who plays bass, I worked hard to step up my game. I knew that if I wanted to play it, I’d need to keep fighting for it.

On the last day of decision making, Mr. Ratterree sent the sixth person into the pit, and I was still on the line! I made it. I finally got there, and it sat as one of the best times of my life. The drum line was fun, not to mention all the drumming I did. I can honestly say that I fell in love with my “baby” bass. What also kept me happy during this time was that I knew I had earned it. I felt invincible.

I’ve learned many things from my drum line experiences, and I hope to learn more in the future. Do I think I can do everything? No, but I do believe that I’ll get where I’m heading as long as I never stop fighting; and I never will.