Heather - St. Paul, Texas

I believe that things in life happen twice, but the first time stays in your mind. It becomes a reference for similar situations later on. In general, people learn from their mistakes, helping them cope with everyday obstacles.

As a little girl in my elementary days, I had two best friends that lived just down the street from me. The three of us became very close and we were inseparable. Some of the neighbors would even refer to us as “the three musketeers” like we had the fairytale friendship you read about in books. But in actuality, it wasn’t exactly picture perfect. As we started to get older, we began singling one out and leaving her behind. We were all a victim of this. Our jealousy getting the best of us, we would often get hurt and run home. When it was my turn to be the odd one out, I would get to thinking and wonder what was wrong with me or why they didn’t accept my presence. Because of my forgiving nature, I gave in. I would forgive and forget then get back to playing with dolls. This was like a never ending cycle up to the time I moved into a new neighborhood. We all grew apart. Although we still remained friends, I never forgot how hurt and upset those little fights had made me feel. Not to long ago, I found myself wondering again what was wrong with me; why would someone I felt was my closest friend, treat me so hatefully. I watched as our friends grew distant. Even though I was unsure as to why I was being treated this way, I knew I didn’t deserve what I was putting myself through.

When we are younger, we are taught that to say you’re sorry and everything turns out fine. But in truth, sometimes you have to let go of something when you realize that saying you’re sorry won’t change what has already been said and done. Sorry is a two way street. I remembered the times in the past with my other friends and realized that this wasn’t any different. This time I made a choice that I wasn’t going to let myself get pushed around. I saw that always giving in to others will not make you a nice person, but weak one. I believe both situations taught me to be stronger. They gave me the ability to stand up for myself and to not let others control me. To this day, I still find that sometimes you don’t learn from your experiences until the second time around. In order to change, you have to be willing to do it.