Chelsea - Wylie, Texas
Themes: setbacks

This I Believe…

People often judge others based on clothing or physical features. I have done this, many times, but I never realized how much I was missing out on until this past summer. That is why I believe that you should never judge someone before you even give them a chance.

I was in Michigan visiting my cousins for the fourth of July. My cousin Samuel and I were sitting outside when he asked me if I wanted to go to a party with him that night. I was bored so I told him yes. That night, his best friend Rob came to pick us up. I knew how Sam acted and what he did, so I thought all his friends were going to do the same. When we arrived at the party, we went to the basement where the band was. There were some kids in the corner smoking and everyone was drinking. I sat down on the couch. I felt so out of place and alone, but I liked it that way. I did not care if anyone talked to me because I wanted to have absolutely nothing to do with these “druggies.” The next thing I know, Rob comes over and sits down right next to me. He began telling me about the band but I did not pay any attention to him. I got up off the couch and went upstairs. I turned around and he was walking up right behind me. When we got upstairs, he walked away. I felt relieved. Around midnight, I had to go find my cousin because I could barely breathe from all the smoke. We went out to Rob’s truck and left.

That next day, Rob came by to pick up his truck. Samuel and Rob went outside to the barn to watch a movie. Not wanting to be left behind, I followed them. They began telling me about all the things that they do. To my surprise, they were not as bad as I thought they were. I felt disappointed in myself because I was so judgmental towards Rob and all my cousins’ friends before I had even given them a chance.

Rob turned out to be someone totally different than I thought he was going to be. I am happy that he still made an effort to get to know me even after I was rude to him. I learned my lesson that week. You should always try to not judge people before you give them a chance.