Shelby - Richmond, Kentucky

Family is the most significant asset given to a person, or at least that is what I believe. There are not many things that I hold strongly in my heart, but family is one that is very important to me. I guess I have come to realize this through all of life’s many lessons; through all the good times and the bad.

When I look back at all the occasions where I needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to laugh with, my family is always the first to pop in my mind, especially my Gramps. My gramps and I were like peas and carrots. When I was younger we were inseparable. He was my baby sitter, partner in crime, and my best friend. He introduced me to Frisch’s Big Boys , Rolos candy “chocolate on the outside and smooth caramel on the inside”, and the American Sign Language symbol for “I love you.” He was there for all the instrumental moments in my life. The only one he missed was my graduation.

Gramps and I grew apart as I got older, and I would take that back if I could. I choose friends and parties over our Saturday Lunches. Even though I knew they meant the world to him, I was too busy to settle down and take five minutes to have our scheduled meetings. No longer did I feel I needed his approval for everything; the clothes I wore or the guys I had crushes on. I was too old and way too mature for his advice, or so I thought.

I never had the chance to tell him how much he meant to me or to thank him for all the miscellaneous things he thought me. “Never sweat the small stuff” and that every guy I date should treat me like a princess. The cancer took him too fast for me to get it all out. But not a day passes where I don’t think of all the fun times we shared, all the Rolos we ate, and all the signed “I love you’s” we gave. He is the reason I try not to sweat the small stuff and take my family for-granted. Hopefully he now knows that.

So as I sit down and think of what is most dear to me, or what I believe in, family is what comes to mind. They are always there for me when I need them the most and because of life’s many lessons I have learned to never take that for-granted