John - Wylie, Texas
Themes: sports

Football, the game that is known to be America’s Game, is the only game in the world where teamwork is essential key to success. Ever since I attended my first high school football game I knew that I wanted to be apart of something that I could never understand unless I joined a football team. Seventh grade was my first year to ever to be on a football team. When I was younger I had always pleaded my parents to let me play, but I always got the answer, “No John, your going to get hurt,” and a long lecture about how I need to take care of myself. I begged and begged until I finally got my chance to join a team at my middle school. I was so psyched about it that I started walking with a big head on my shoulders. I had a feeling that I was going to be pretty good since I was slightly taller than everyone else and I was pretty fast. But when our first practice came around I quickly noticed my suspicions of my abilities were wrong. Reality pretty much smacked me in the face as I was continuously getting shoved down and getting hit by everyone. I sucked and I knew it, as did everyone else, considering I was third string running back and middle linebacker on the B team (a.k.a. the Crappy Team.) I even remember when my coach told me, “Jeez Pisquiy you look like Tarzan but you hit like Jane!” My life seemed to crumble as I was losing confidence in myself. After I had finally finished feeling sorry for myself, my ambition told me to keep going despite everything that happened to me. I had a motive to show all the coaches and my friends that I was more than just a “scrub.”

I believe in desire. Desire is what drives me everyday. It’s helped me convert all doubts into fuel. The only way I feel that I will fail is if I take my eyes of my goal. I have

pushed myself to the limit. All the pain, sweat, and heat that I felt on those scorching early morning summer workouts would not hold me back from surpassing any obstacles. Right now my goal is to work to be a varsity player. Although my chance may seem slim, I want to make sure that I have given it my all. And I will give it whatever it takes. Sometimes I sit there and think about just running through that tunnel. Having that feeling and adrenaline go through your veins as you walk onto the field. Hearing the crowd going crazy… emotions rising… the noise getting louder and louder by the second. It gets intense. Hand by hand… Man to man… One team… One heartbeat. All our fans yelling AHMO! Every single one of these things makes me want to play so much more. Just the feeling of being on the team… is incredible.