Caroline - Wylie, Texas

My mom had just picked me up from school when she told me Gran, my grandmother, had cancer. My grandmother had always been considerably healthy, I just couldn’t believe it. After that, she started going to chemotherapy in Houston. At the end of every session she would get awfully sick and extremely weak. One night after Gran had just completed a chemo round; she took her dog, Bitsy, outside. While she was carrying Bitsy, she tripped over a piece of wood and was catapulted forward. She scraped up her face, busted her lip, and had a huge scrape on her nose. We were thankful that she did not hurt herself worse, but we knew she wasn’t doing well. To make matters worse, she had to shave her head the next day because her hair had started falling out. I had never seen Gran so beat up or bald before, so when I saw her for the first time, it was like being splashed with cold water, the reality set in. I knew I could not make the cancer go away, heal her cuts, or make her hair grow back, but I knew I had to do something for her. Every morning when we were in Waco, I would get up especially early and help Gran get ready for the day. I’d help her put on her make-up to cover up her wounds, I’d style “Lilly” her wig, and I’d help her get dressed. Though I knew I wasn’t curing the cancer or healing her scrapes, I knew I was making her feel good about herself. To see her so positive and gleaming with joy made me happy. That was the most real and incredible feeling I have ever felt. I believe that the little things in life matter. Even though I did not make some life changing difference in her life, it meant a lot to her and perhaps even more to me. My grandmother passed away January 19th, 2007. I don’t remember her struggling for her breath in the hospital. I remember listening to her tell me what it is like to suddenly have no hair or what she was going to do when she got better. Even though it was just something little, those memories mean the world to me and I never want to lose them. I’ve learned not to take the time with my loved ones for granted; those times are the one’s that matter the most.