Perri - Wylie, Texas

I believe you don’t have to like everybody. This doesn’t mean being rude is acceptable, but if you don’t like someone, you don’t need to provide a reason. Different personalities don’t always get along, and that’s okay. I had this belief proven to me one time in a big way.

Last summer I met a girl whom I instantly didn’t like. I’d heard of her before, and although almost everyone had nice, positive things to say about her, she rubbed me the wrong way. We had many mutual friends, and unfortunately, we spent a lot of time around each other. After a couple of weeks, my dislike of her grew exponentially. I saw that the way she treated others bothered me, and she was horrible to her friends. I don’t tolerate people who treat their friends wrong, and she was definitely one of those people. She never directly did anything to me, but I still couldn’t stand her. It was obvious I was never going to like this girl.

After that, if she came up in a casual conversation, and someone asked me about her, I was honest and said I didn’t care for her. People were shocked every time I said it! They became even more surprised when they found out she did nothing to me. I’ve never cared too much about other people’s opinions, but they were so convinced I had gotten the wrong idea about her. No one understood that I disliked her because of what she did to others. My friends made me feel so bad about it too. I didn’t realize my thoughts were “silly” and “mean”. I even tried to make myself like her! Of course, it was impossible, because you can’t make yourself like someone you don’t.

After all of the questioning and crazy looks, I decided that I was done feeling like an evil witch because I didn’t like one person. I was tired of giving in to what my friends wanted. Will it truly matter in the end if I don’t like one person out of billions? People go around every day, not liking hundreds of people, and nobody questions them. After a long, hard summer, I started to believe that liking everyone was not necessary to my life.