Nick - Hinsdale, Illinois

A great mind once said, “To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction”. This was said by Sir Isaac Newton, hands down the greatest figure in the history of science. Now, Mr. Newton applied this theory to the world of physics, but when I think about it, I apply it to my everyday life. Whenever something happens, it always happens for a reason. Just like in physics, there is always “an equal and opposite reaction” for every action you take. And that is exactly what I believe in; I believe everything in life happens for a reason.

I can think of thousands of examples where I did something wrong, and it taught me a valuable lesson, so I never did it again. Earlier this year, my friends and I, who have no judgement what so ever, decided to do something very stupid. We thought it’d be real funny to see who could run the fastest, with 6 rolls of toilet paper in their pants. We were having a blast, running around like idiots, until a police officer came and asked us what we were doing. We told him the truth, but he didn’t believe us, and thought “we were up to no good”. Luckily, my friend, who lived nearby, saw us the whole time, and he and his mom vowed on our be halves we were there the whole time. My parents didn’t care what happened. They were infuriated that I bought toilet paper for the wrong reason, and I got in trouble.

In this case, the reaction was the exact opposite of the event that night. I believe this incident happened because I needed to be taught a lesson; to stop and think before I do anything stupid. If I was never taught that, I think I’d be in trouble every weekend. And that event happened for the sole reason of to make myself think about doing something, before I take action upon it.

Another example I can think of is when I failed a biology test. I know everyone listening to me has failed a test, or two, sometime in their life. Failure is a part of life. It’s unavoidable to anyone. Freshman year when the evolution test came around, I studied, but not as much as I should’ve. When I got the test back, I learned I failed. The test dropped my grade substantially. I knew my parents were not going to be happy. I got a huge talk from them, and I was grounded for quite a while. But I learned something, and that is to study hard and do well in school, because how you do in high school effects how the rest of your life plays out. When my Dad told me that, it was a big slap in the face, but it happened for a reason. It shaped my study skills how they are today. Without that talk, who knows what grades I’d be getting.

The more I think back to it, key events that occurred in my life happened for reasons. Without them, I wouldn’t be who I am today. They build off of each other, and shape who we are, why we are, and how we live our lives. This I believe; everything in life happens for a reason.