Chris - Wylie, Texas
Themes: golden rule

I believe in the Golden Rule. No, not whoever possesses the gold rules, but treat others as you want to be treated. This basic principle yields powers beyond what most people realize. One would be surprised by the impact they could have on other’s lives from just the slightest encounter.

In my life, I have known my granny and papa, Rosa and Jacob, as the kindest people I have ever been blessed to know. Rosa, who just recently passed away at 69 years young, was a gentle, kind-hearted woman. She was the type of person that made it almost impossible to be angry at. She was sweet, loving, and attempted to befriend everyone she came in contact with. A caring, hard-working, gentleman, 83 year-old Jacob knows everyone as his “buddy.” He is compassionate, kind, charming, and always willing to go the extra mile to benefit others.

On January 21, 2007, a funeral service was held for my granny in Portsmouth, Virginia. Family and friends from all over the country came to pay their dues. Before the service began, all the cars lined up to drive to the church holding the service. I’ve never attended a funeral, but I imagine that most car-lineups lack a showing over 50 cars deep. It seemed like a never-ending parade of headlights. On top of the massive amount of people that went to the service, the police provided a free escort to the service and the burial. When we crossed county lines, the other county’s police took over from there. They even shutdown the interstate, allowing us to travel to the burial site in peace. My papa worked as a security guard for 23 years and made many friends. The sheriffs felt the police department owed him and his wife a favor.

Though she was not present in person, my granny was there in spirit soaking up the enormous amount of love displayed toward her. If you show love to others, then the favor will surely be returned. It may not be a material reward, but it will be more valuable than any check. No monetary amount surpasses the worth of love from your family and friends.