Julie - Wylie, Texas

There is a quote pertaining to success written by Paramahansa Yogananda that states “The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success”. I’m not sure who Paramahansa Yogananda is, or what life experience led this person to reach this realization, but I do know I can relate, as I’m sure many people who have ever worked to reach a goal can relate to also. I believe failure lays the foundation for success. In fact, I believe that a person won’t succeed in life without experiencing some form of failure along the way.

A summer ago, I learned that the presence of failure doesn’t omit the chance for success. It was a cold, crisp morning. The trailers were parked, the horses saddled. It was time for the Woodhaven Wranglers, a newly founded equestrian drill team I was a part of, to compete for the second time in history. After we had taken home two first place trophies at our previous competition, we were confident yet nervous.

We went in and did alright. To use adjectives such as great or spectacular would have been a far cry from the truth. In our defense, were a new drill team, and yes, the competing teams were much more practiced than us. But the parent’s optimistic views didn’t help relieve the disappointment we felt. We knew we were much better than that. We had failed ourselves and our leaders. [You can really tell that you’ve let your coaches down when they’re too disappointed to talk to you.] We failed, and we knew it.

So for our second chance at proving ourselves, we tried harder than we’ve probably ever done. We communicated, we focused, and we managed to bring home second place. Sure, it wasn’t first. And yes, our egos did diminish slightly. But I believe it was the disappointment of our first try that won us second place during the second try. If we hadn’t failed our first time, our performance probably would have been mediocre, but by no means ‘great’ like our second round, and we most likely would have never realized our potential [as cliché as that sounds].

I strongly do believe failure lays the foundation for success, and without failure there would be no success. So next time you fail do not fret, just remember failure lays the foundation for success.