Yumna - Wylie, Texas

I Believe.. In the Value of Time

When asked my life’s belief I will at a instant pace state that “I believe in the value of time.” I am young right now, but believe that this will always remain my life’s belief for eternity, unless time itself changes it. To me the value of time is like a everlastingly book just waiting for me to fill in the chapters. No matter whose view it is old, young, rich, poor, dictators, peacemakers, people, and more all have to face time. I cherish and treasure the limited time I have in my life and if I want something I try to find a way to accomplish it, because I know if I wait too long my time will be gone.

When I break down the roots of time I find “change”. Change, because as time goes by we all face changes not just within our character but better yet our society. Time to me is also seen in a diversity of perspectives. If I was seeking to find what the value of 4 years was then I would ask a graduate, if I wanted to know the value of one week than I would go to a newspaper editor, and if I was hoping to know the value of one millisecond then it would have to be a person who won a silver medal at the Olympics.

I just a year ago faced the truthful definition of what I know now is the true value of time to myself. The story goes like this, just a year ago it had been nine years since I had visited my country in Asia. When I heard the news that I would be able to visit it I was more than overwhelmed. Then a tragic thought as quick as a lightning bolt hit me, would I fit in? This simple question seemed to remain with me for quite a while and besides feeling restless, I seemed reply less. I had talked to all of my relatives by phone more then I could ever count, but this time I would actually greet them. Even after I left my home in North America to travel to another continent I just could not stop thinking about this thought that had me tied up.

The three day voyage by plane seemed more like a six day journey, because the thought deep in my head would keep echoing back to me. When I finally arrived at my country’s airport I was quickly greeted by a numerous number of aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. My heart started pounding faster, I felt shaky, and I knew suddenly that this sign stated that I was at the moment nervous. The only cure for it was one thing just to forget about the feeling that was captured within me and enjoy the three week vacation I had come to pleasure. I no longer wanted to miss out on this one big family reunion. And indeed I did that very thing, I realized how insane it was to worry than to enjoy the time missed out for 9 years.

I realized the architecture, landmarks, and favorite places I enjoyed when I was a little as we drove by the newly constructed roads; I knew this would be the vacation I would remember. Soon, I heard some news that came to my pleasure there was a beach house rented right in front of a big lake where my relatives would go, unfortunately the day before we had the arrangements to go I had gotten extremely ill due to the poor filtration of water. Soon the excitement turned into sorrow and everyone was about to call off the event my relatives had planned and booked before I even arrived. I knew there was no way I could go even if I wanted to, but bellowed for them anyway for they had put so much thought into this. I stated that I was alright with going. I may not join the outdoor activities, but I could at least enjoy the view. When they asked why, I stated that I already missed a lot of the years and wanted to make value out of the time. The next day in two buses my family arrived to the beach house, although I was still sick I enjoyed my time.

Now whenever someone here asks me what I did there, regarding the fact that I was sick most of the time, I reply there was nothing that I missed. Because when one is really trying to enjoy the value of time there is definitely more than one way out of it.