Karli - Wylie, Texas

Many people believe that you must be in the popular crowd or that you need to be wealthy to live a happy, fulfilled, and successful life. However, I don’t think that at all. In fact, I know that is not true. I believe you determine how your life turns out. I believe life is what you make it.

While working on one of many experiments of mixing random household items together, my mother came into my room. She asked me to sit on her lap for a few minutes. Even as a nine year old, I then knew our conversation was going to mean something. She talked to me in a way I’ve never heard her speak before. She began to tell me that she was going to be moving to Galveston, Texas within the next two weeks. I didn’t ask any questions. I simply said, “Okay mommy, I can’t wait until you get home!” At that point, I had no clue what was truly happening. I just thought her boss gave her a vacation from work. I helped her pack her bags and boxes, and waved bye while she drove out of my driveway. What I didn’t know, was that she wasn’t coming back. After a couple weeks, I started asking my dad questions about when my mommy was coming home. He only said, “It’s just you, me, and bubba now.” He made it seem exceptionally simple, yet this “simple” action led to much intricate pain. After a year or two I started to get upset when my other friends talked about the activities they shared with their moms. I didn’t fully understand how that felt. But I held back from letting people know my true feelings.

My father has been a single parent for about seven years now to me and my eighteen year old brother. He has given and provided us with everything we ever needed, plus most of everything we desired. We are in no way rich, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be happy. I choose to have an outgoing personality, and that makes people like me for who I am, not what I do or don’t have. If I was to live my life based on all of my past experiences, I would probably be a cutter in rehab, and I’m serious. However, I allow myself to see Heaven in all Hell. I choose not to conceal myself from the world because I’m not the prettiest, wealthiest, or most admired.

I live my life the way I want it to be. I make it worth living each day I wake up. Only you decide how your life turns out. Not anyone else can be blamed for your decisions, mistakes or regrets. And this, this is why I believe that life is what you make it.