Dillon - Murphy, Texas

I’ve gone to the same little church every Sunday my entire life, but I was never devoted to the ministries of the church. I’ve never been what you might call, “involved.” During the 2006 summer break, I was invited to go with the youth group on a mission trip. Without knowing entirely what was in store for me, I decided to go. Little did I know it traveling in a dinky bus loaded down with all the other guys, but it was to be a life changing experience.

Two days, a McDonalds, an Arby’s, and three Burger Kings later, we arrived at Confirmation Point in the hills of Tennessee. We met our counselors who joined us to go check out the homes we would be working on for the next few days. I expected to find a house sort of like mine, but maybe a little run down and just in need of a quality paint job. When we got there, it was honestly a dump. Dead animals, rotting wood, and huge, disgusting piles of trash littered every corner of the front and back yards. I was shocked someone could actually live in such a vile, filthy place.

We got up at the crack of dawn the next day, ate a big breakfast, and went to the job site. We spent hours picking up garbage just to make the house suitable for new materials. Even though we only picked up trash that day, joy already shown on the faces of the homeowners.

The work was painstaking, but we found ways to make it fun working with the group. By the end of the fourth day, we completed all the repairs we had set out to do. The homeowners were stunned. It was an entirely new home to them. For me, it was a completely new and awesome feeling knowing I had given someone a house worthy of being called home.

During the time on the trip, we constantly learned, prayed, and read scripture from the Bible. We hiked to waterfalls and valleys to come together in devotionals that truly showed the beauty of God’s creations. The entire trip, I felt amazingly close to God.

I came home a different person. I noticed the way I saw people and my opinion on many things had changed. I participated more in the church, started attending weekly Bible studies, and even made new friends. Through this experience I gained a belief, the belief that everything is a blessing from God.