Kevin - Wylie, Texas

Whether it be cleaning toilets or mowing the yard, life is not only about the fun interesting things. It is important to experience the darker, more unpleasant side of life. Doing so expands knowledge and builds character. Everyone needs experiences like these in their lives. But after gaining this experience, it does not mean you necessarily need to participate in these activities again. And when you find things you love to do continue to push yourself to excel in these areas. These events are the ones you remember years later, and also those that leave a lasting impression upon you.

*This I believe is that you should do everything in life once and the fun things twice.*

One of my personal examples is when I turned 13, and had to start doing some unpleasant tasks around the house. That year ‘twas the first time I had ever put Christmas lights up all over our humble abode. I did not enjoy it at all, but it seemed to be a fact of life I had to accept. I remember that I sat up there all day on a Saturday the first time I mounted the beast that was my house and wrangled it with those sparkly lassos. It was not pleasant but it was something everyone needs to experience in their lives. But also there are events and activities that leave a positive impression upon you.

These are those “fun things” that you need to undergo or experience at least twice. One of these moments in my life was the first day of marching band my freshman year. It started at 7:00 in the morning during the summer, was at least 100?, and tons and tons of work. Needless to say I was not amused. I thought it was oodles of work for virtually no gain, and not very much fun at that. But a friend convinced me to go back that second day, to give it one more try. And let me tell you, it was one of the best decisions of my life. Ever since then, I’ve loved every minute of it! I’d never give it up for anything; it is non-stop fun. This was a major part of leading me to my belief. That is my overreaching fun thing that, during the season, I do every day, no matter the circumstance. I guess you could say I did it a few more times than twice!!!

It would seem that the core of my belief revolves around building character, but also having fun, which are two of many ideals people need to appreciate quite a bit more in our world today.