Brandon - Wylie, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that you should do everything your able to do while you have the chance, before it is to late.

I play baseball everyday and night, seven games a weekend. I think of it all day and dream about it all night. At the same time, I play other sports for school.

In my 7th grade year at McMillan Jr. High, in the middle of September 2005. I was in Frisco for a football game. On a late crystal clear night, my life was on the verge of changing forever.

It was late in the game we were up by four points. It was Frisco’s ball on the 50 with ten seconds left. They go for the deep bomb. I was at safety for the ball. The quarterback called for the snap as he wailed back, then through up a prayer. The receiver ran full speed down the sideline for the ball as I was coming in for it. I jumped a split second before him, I deflected the ball, but at the same time, the opposing player’s helmet was under my chin. His screws on his helmet were jabbed into my chin. I was shot in the air, and spun like a spiral. A mouthful of blood and a head full of pain. I immediately rushed to the hospital.

In the emergency room, I received my stitches at One Thirty or so in the morning. I got a cat scan to see if I received a concussion. Hours later, the doctor came into my room where I sat, white as snow.

He told us I had to see a brain surgeon real soon. I apparently had a very large Arachnoid Cyst in my head.

The next day we saw a surgeon and he told us I would need to quit sports completely. We left and thought it could’ve been a rough day for him. We go on and see a second surgeon, he says the same thing. I’m about to loose my life which is sports.

So we go see a third surgeon named of Dr. Martin L. Lazar, he looks at the cat scans as if he basically wanted to say the same exact thing as the others. Then he turned to see me starting to cry and he stopped. He told me I have a slim chance to play baseball again, but it will be a long process.

We had surgeries October 7, and November 21. Sitting down, walking, and doing nothing active for 9-10 months. I finally got to see the field again.

I tell you that you should do everything you love while you can, not after its to late. I almost lost my love for something. It took a lot of prayers & tears to get to do it again.