Steven - South Lyon, Michigan

God is in your heart and not the social structures tabbed “churches”… This I believe.

People shuttle off to church, every Sunday and most holidays. Most of the time they attend to feel some sort of membership or sense of belonging. God is a sexless, race-less, entity, that you communicate with in your mind. I believe over time, religion has developed into more of an appendage on various governments and not serving as its own entity. This is why I believe God is in your heart and not your church.

The act of going to church is a person getting dressed up nicely, heading off to a building, interacting with others, while following the guidance of a person who conducts a meeting. This is what is called Sunday mass. Analyzing this, it certainly demonstrates a social activity, not a spiritual one. At social occasions such as funerals, weddings, formal parties, and graduations, we all dress to look our best. This is what people do when going to church.

Is this what God wants? Does He only accept those that wear skirts and suits?

God is who you think He is. I have my own belief and picture of Him and this is why I refer to Him as Him. Some religions picture Him as a black prophet; a white carpenter, or feel She is a part of nature and everything that surrounds Her. The important thing, I believe, is to go with what is in your heart and mind. The One you communicate with when you need to talk or to ask for help from is the One who is your god. I do not believe you need to attend a building to communicate with your god. Furthermore, I have a hard time taking direction from a preacher; black, white, female or male, preaching to me about the sins I have performed and what I should or should not do, all the while they are committing ultimate sins like violating alter boys. These thoughts further cement my belief in God being in your soul.

Since the dawn of time, religion has been a part of life. Religion grew strength in numbers over the decades and the respective governments recognized the power it had over the people. They also realized they could have more power if they could harness the energy of religion and form it into something that could benefit their political cause. As the evolution of the world continues, the churches tend to become more in line with the government and not standing alone anymore. In fact, if religion were to stand alone today, it would be thwarted by the government, using any means necessary including bombing of our own churches… this I believe as well. I believe this conspiracy started back when Rome was burned to the ground and how certain documents were conveniently left behind in the fires. These documents were directions on how to directly communicate with God, without the need of a church. Without this information, people had to gather information somewhere so they would attend religious ceremonies in social structures built by the government: Insert the conspiracy of the church and government and welcome the churches of today. The result of the government building these structures is the empowerment of the government through religion.

The church is not a place to respect God anymore. This has been converted to a social engagement that people get dressed up to meet. Most people seemed to have lost their way when it comes to religion and mostly it is not their fault. This is what society wants of them. They lose touch with religion because of the guidance of the church. People should evolve to a point where they can feel comfortable communicating with their God in their heart and mind, not have someone with ‘skeletons in their closet’ provide guidance every Sunday to feel they are fulfilled. Maybe the two thirds of the brain we have not tapped can provide people with a better outlet then collecting in a social, government-built institution.