Amber - Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Themes: love

Love, a four letter word full of meaning but absent of relevance. Too often, this word is tossed around frivolously in reference to those things unworthy of the title. The use of semantics is an idea that has died as easily seen by the steadily increasing rate of divorces. Upon learning about these troubling statistics, I was brought back to a theater lesson concerning the struggle surrounding the meaninglessness of language in the period during the “theatre of the absurd”; sadly, we are still dealing with its bearing today on the lives of the people in America today. Does anyone truly know the meaning of the word? Can it have prevalence in a society so consumed with self? I can not definitively answer this question. Undoubtedly, the only person that can determine whether this is a conceivable idea is each individual in his personal situation. Only one thing can be sure, the perfect model of this most impacting word can be represented by the words from the following:

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or

rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of whom it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. I Corinthians 14: 4-7

I refuse to become another statistic; I long to live a life of meaning because it is too short to waste time with empty promises and a shallow outlook. I strive to be an individual who imparts words that resonate in lives of those I direct them to. In this manner my words are backed by actions that validate that meaning. Words without action is dead; my words, my actions, my life must be momentous. I exhort all people who endeavor to leave the world a bit better to grab hold of this vision.