Natalie - McDonough, Georgia

I believe that all humans have the right to view and be a part of what they believe in. I do not believe that being a particular age should mean that the person should be shielded from this. I work in daycare and often times the children complain about their thirty minute TV time being boring as they can’t play the video games they enjoy or watch the TV shows they want. Instead they are bound by the G and E rating. Every year I hear the same complaints, and every year I tell them to take it up with the state. Every year they complain to their parents and their parents tell me that their child is allowed to watch PG. The children complain how unreal these stories are when compared to their own lives. They complain they want story lines that resemble their lives. One child asked where were the movies about the little girl who’s father and mother go away to war and gets stuck living with their grandmother. Another one asked where the story was about the father who used to hit mommy until the police took him away. Yet another asked about the story where the parents made illegal drugs and the children had to be put into foster care.

I believe that the world has changed, and that many of these changes can not be hidden from children. Instead they should be explained to them. In many cases some of these children are already old beyond their years. Why should a child who has been sodomized by a family member repeatedly have the one thing taken away from her that makes her feel better? “Because the state says so,” is the only answer I’ve ever received.

I often wonder if the censors live shut up in a small community somewhere, never looking out the window at the world around them. I ponder what they felt as the towers fell on 9/11. Or did they simply not even look at that as it was clearly “too violent”, “too bloody”. Yes, that’s what they probably did, this I believe.