Max - St. paul, Minnesota

THIS I BELIEVE. I believe the adults of today are childish. Not the adults that are in your everyday life, but the adults that have an impact on the world. The adults that run the world and the lives around us. The adults that ruin our lives and save our lives. The adults that “matter”.

By “matter”, I do not mean that they are better than your parents or colleagues, or that they amount to more. I simply mean that they have an impact on millions a day. However, mattering in the world is not always a good thing.

For example, when I was turning ten years old, my mom’s family took a vacation to Italy for a family reunion. I WAS PUMPED. I had everything planned out and I was seeing my cousins and I had my birthday in just a few days! how could this get any better?! Well, I found out how it could get worse.

On my birthday, our entire family went to a pizzeria on my request for my b-day lunch. Conveniently enough, there was a playground right next to where we were eating. So, being the children we were, my brother and I asked if we could go an play on the mini merry-go-round. of course, my parents gave the O.K., and my brother and I began to spin each other. As the time passed, we got bored and started a contest to see who could get it going faster with no one on it. My brother went first, spinning it until to little mini chairs were just blurs of color. He stopped spinning, and stood back to admire his handiwork, perching himself on the edge of the small crater like area that the merry-go-round was in. I called out that he had won, and he turned and gave me that “I win” face that I have learned to love to hate. As he turned, he shifted his foot towards the spinning plaything of doom and lost his balance, sending him down onto the merry-go-round. He came down on his face, and hit one of the chairs, spinning over the next few chairs and finally making the stop with his head. He stood, holding his hand to his eye, and walked back to the table quite calmly, all the while pressing hard onto his velvety eyebrow. He made it to the table and took his hand away from his eye on my mother’s request.

We were at the hospital so fast, i didn’t really know what had happened. He had taken away his had to reveal a gash in his eyebrow that was gushing blood. it covered his face and ran down under his shirt. We left the restaurant without even ordering, and made it to the hospital, where we found that he would need stitches. All I remember is that I was doing whatever it took to get attention, whether it was good or bad, because it was still my birthday, and i wanted some one to say “Just Kidding!! We were just leading you to your surprise party!” but that never happened. I was forgotten, on the best day of my year.

Coming back to the now, I have realized that the adults of today are acting like the kids of yesterday that never grew up. They party, they say stupid things, and they get attention, mostly bad. And on the rare occasion that they get good attention, they always somehow mess it up the next day, because they are nothing but rich and powerful babies with a capacity for alcohol.