Erin - Seattle, Washington
Themes: nature

What a Wonderful World

To be totally honest with you, I had no idea what to write for this essay. It’s a personal philosophy – how hard can it be? Yet, each inward search proved fruitless. Every idea was too generic, too complex, too something; I might be too picky, but nothing seemed to fit right.

Then one evening, I took a walk through the neighborhood. Just as I reached the top of a hill, the setting sun filled the sky. A brilliant fire of red, orange, and yellow streaked across the horizon. Farther overhead, the clouds blushed cotton candy pink while a lavender dusk swept in behind them. Far to the west, the Cheshire cat grin of the waning moon peeked from behind a cluster of trees.

No, a light bulb didn’t suddenly click on and I wasn’t hit by a falling anvil. Inspiration doesn’t happen that way for me. If I had to describe the moment, it would be a whisper of realization upon the breeze. I had been looking too closely within the dark corners of myself when all I needed was to look around me. After all, our beliefs are shaped by our surroundings, no?

I believe in the blessing of nature. It inspires; it uplifts; it heals. Not a day goes by when I cannot be thankful for what I see when I glance out a window. I love days of crisp, blue skies, with drifting white clouds, where everything is coated in rays of sunshine. The black, purple, and green thunderheads illuminated by white, crooked lightning of afternoon storms thrill me to the core. On full moon nights, I open my bedroom curtains and soak in the calming, silvery light that shines through the inky darkness. I even love the occasionally endless Northwest drizzle.

Nature shows us that it is possible to discover intricacies in simplicity, beauty within the beast. It gives us appreciation for both the majestic sights and those that are desolate and barren, stretching for miles. Best of all, nature’s blessings endure the test of time.

“I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom, for me and you … I see skies of blue and clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night and I think to myself, what a wonderful world … Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world.”