Nick - Canton, Michigan

The Dreams I Believe

About seven years ago, I was spending a lot time with a woman who hade a very bleak look on the world. This woman, Kikyo Black, was a deadly martial artist. She knew hand-to-hand, sword, and firearms combat, making her a pretty rough kind of person. It was this woman who taught me how to fight and, in a way, what life was about.

One of the strongest people in the world, Kikyo could decimate any man that came at her. Unknown in the mainstream of kung fu, she very rarely taught her amazing skills to others. However, four others and myself were invited to stay with her for an entire summer to learn her ways. It was during this time that, at only the age of thirteen, I grew up.

Fighting her entire life, Kikyo tended to look at the world a little harshly. I didn’t find that out until one day of sword practice. I made the mistake of telling her both mine and my friend Chloe’s dreams to open our own physical therapy clinic. She beat me down pretty hard yelling, “Dreams are not important.” According to her, “It doesn’t matter what you want in this world. The world is the way that it is and no amount of dreaming will ever change that.”

I spent years after leaving her care believing that very thing: that dreams weren’t important and that it didn’t matter what I wanted in life. During my high school years, the years that are supposed to be the best, I let my life just pass by without a care in the world. I truly felt that it didn’t matter anymore. It wasn’t until my video teacher gave everyone in the entire a program a task that my mind was changed forever.

Our program lost its funding and we were all assigned to raise enough money to get ourselves $10,000 worth of equipment. With my mind set at the time I didn’t think there was anyway that we would pull this off. At the end of the fundraising, I was astonished to learn that we had exceeded what we set out to do.

I was in complete and utter shock. To think that his dreams had come true despite it being “impossible.” That was when I began to notice that everyone around me had dreams of there own that they were going to pursue no matter what. My friend Lisa wanted to be an audio engineer for movies. John wanted to be a film director. Natalie wanted to open her own coffeehouse. Chloe still wanted to open a clinic with me and Laura wanted write for a scrap-booking magazine. While dwelling on what they all wanted to do, I realized there was absolutely nothing wrong with them dreaming of their futures.

Thanks to my teacher and my friends, I now have dreams of my own. I dream of attending Wayne State University to participate in their physical therapy program. I dream of opening my own clinic with my friend Chloe. I dream of marrying Laura next fall and having a place on the water. I dream of writing the fantasy book that has been bouncing around my head for the past seven years. And, I dream of one day becoming a better fighter than Kikyo to show her that dreams can turn the impossible possible.

What is it that I believe about life? I believe in the dreams of my friends. I believe in my own dreams. I now firmly believe that dreams are the most important thing in this world and the true key to happiness.