Keshya - Northville, Michigan
Themes: golden rule

Questions

“Not to know is bad, not to wish to know is worse.” – African Proverb

I often wonder why? Why love? Why people hate? Why at times we humans become so selfish? Why are we consumed with what others think…instead of who we are?

I am applying this philosophy to my life to question who I am. I ask myself have I done something thoughtful for someone else today. Simple acts of kindness to a perfect strangers, albeit a polite a thank you, or offering a helping hand. My grandmother would call this having manners. As I look around my community and observe media; manners are the one thing we are lacking. What happened to the golden rule? “Treat others like you would like to be treated?” What has happened to our society? What happened to mere respect? Why are so many images of thoughtless actions aired repeatedly through our air waves, televisions and internet?

It just takes one moment to think and view your actions in one simple question. “If this was?”

If this was your brother could you line him up, rape him of his manhood, as you pull the trigger.

If this was your sister could you assassinate her beliefs with a Chauvinist, and anti-Semitic reprimand?

If this was your mother could you spontaneously abort her spirit with your rain of bullets in a drive by?

As images play; I ask God Why? Why has society forgotten the value of life and the great rewards of generosity? Instead we are envious. Somewhere along the way we lost our moral temperature. We have become this bipolar society that considers death okay, until it personally touches us. As long as the smell of death is in another country, in our prisons, in our clinics, anywhere away from us; it is okay. Once death visits our school yards, our workplace, our community there is an out cry. How come this? And Why? The answer could be as complex as we want. The real answer is maybe these things happen in our society to help remind us of the importance of manners and the golden rule, without it in our lives. We are lost.

In the mist of all the questions Why? How could this happen? The answer is simple. It has to happen. The lesson from these events is that our world needs more love, and courage. We need to treat others like we want to be treated. Nothing more, nothing less. Or we are left with a world full of despair.

We can see that in order to change from a negative direction we must get back to adhering to the golden rule.